PRODUCTION PROCESS

Step 1

Our 8 hectares vineyards are cultivated following the biological method, like all the other cultivations. Our process is certified by ICEA (Istituto per la Certificazione Etica ed Ambientale – Ethical and Environmental Certification Institute) and during 1999 the vineyard was planted with one sixth of total 2.80 x 0.80 m reaching a total of 4464 plants per hectare.

Vineyards are only Tuscan and in detail 6 hectares of red grapes are for the 85% made of different clones of Sangiovese and the remaining 15% are of Ciliegiolo and Canaiolo; the other 2 hectares of white grapes are exclusively dedicated to Vernaccia of San Gimignano.

Our vineyards are totally treated with no-till farming production method.
The growing system is the low rammed cord for red grapes and the medium rammed cord for the white grapes made of 8 vine branches and one bunch per branch producing 1 kg grape per vine branch.

Step 2

Enrichment of soil is carried out with  organic fertilizer such as manure occasionally combined with some mince minerals.

Monitoring of the insect pests is made via mechanical operations and for their control we use copper sulphate and sulphur in a penta-hydrated formulation and combined to algae and humic acids both improving   the effectiveness of treatments and keeping copper levels under 1,2/1,5 kg per hectare.

The setting is followed immediately by the polling of the leaves surface, and, only if necessary,  it may also follow some hand stripping of the leaves.

When the grapes turn dark, it is the moment to decide wheather the thining of the grapes should be practised upon the estimation of the production potential.

Step 3

Grape harvest starts only when best ripened and it is hand-picking; grape are then collected in small boxes.

Grapes are then immediately carried to the new cellar, where vinification starts and grapes are worked in a pneumatic wine press and stored in stainless steel vessels each one provided with a temperature checking device.